Product Number Search

How does an Ethernet extender differ from a hub, switch or bridge. --Kvng (talk) 18:22, 29 June 2010 (UTC)

It was sometimes called a "half bridge" since two of them back-to-back essentially performed as a bridge. Generally used in pairs of course. This was back in the 1980s when routers cost tens of thousands of dollars. Even earlier in the coax days analog repeaters were used, but the link in between is point-to-point, so technologies like symmetric DSL, fiber optics, point-to-point wireless, etc. were used for better range. Other early-day protocols were RS-422 with synchronous signalling, or even ISDN, DS1 lines (known as T1) etc. LAN Extender was essentially the same thing, just that the PC Novell NetWare people often used that, since some early PC nets used Ethernet-like protocols like StarLAN, token rings, etc. Now days since routers cost a few bucks, the distinction is fuzzier. Residential gateway might be the closest, or stand-alone cable modems etc. As a start we might merge with LAN Extender, or maybe merge them all with Bridging (networking)? A diagram of course might help. W Nowicki (talk) 20:09, 29 August 2011 (UTC)


An Ethernet extender (also network extender or LAN extender) is any device used to extend an Ethernet or network segment beyond its inherent distance limitation which is approximately 100 metres (330 ft) for most common forms of twisted pair Ethernet. These devices employ a variety of transmission technologies and physical media (wireless, copper wire, fiber-optic cable, coaxial cable).

The extender forwards traffic between LANs transparent to higher network-layer protocols over distances that far exceed the limitations of standard Ethernet.